Sunday, February 15, 2009

Butter, butter everywhere, and not a bite to eat

I know this isn't the case with everyone's IBS, but with mine I'm not allowed to have fat. No oil, no butter, no fatty meat. Woe unto my intestines if I forget to cut off a piece of fat from a chicken breast. This makes dining rather difficult. Even "steamed potatoes" come with butter on them at Applebees. So today I thought I'd explore a favorite recipe of mine that generally uses butter, and give a couple of alternatives.




Fat-free Garlic Mashed Potatoes

2-3 medium sized red or yellow potatoes per person (or per serving, if they're all for you - yum!)
1 small-medium bulb of garlic

These really are just that simple. You can use good ol' Russet potatoes or any other variety you like - I just like the taste and texture of the red & yellow potatoes better.

Peel potatoes and cut into small chunks. Place chunks in a pot with enough water to cover them. Bring water to a boil and reduce heat (though still bubbling a bit) and cook until potatoes are tender enough to begin breaking apart with a fork. While you're doing this, place the bulb of garlic on a baking pan and put in the oven on 350 for about half an hour.

Peel garlic and put through food processor. (Alternative, if you don't have a food processor - use a garlic press or a very sharp blade to chop the bulbs into tiny pieces.) Mash potatoes, and slowly add in the garlic, continuing to mash. If you'd like, you can add a splash of milk to give them a smoother consistency. I like mine a bit chunkier, so I generally don't.



Flavorful Fat Free Mashed Potatoes

2-3 medium sized red or yellow potatoes per person/serving
1/4 c. milk*
1/4 c. prepared chicken bouillon or fat free chicken broth*, whichever you prefer (the bouillon is a bit saltier)

Prepare the potatoes the same as you would for Garlic Mashed. Mix together the bouillon and milk and add to the potatoes a little at a time until they reach the consistency you like.



And there you have them - delicious, moist, fluffy, fat-free potatoes that never touch butter. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've made myself hungry. Time to get out the potato peeler!


*I have so much trouble measuring when I cook. I've been cooking since I was 8, and measuring cups have never figured into it. Try these, and then settle on whatever amounts work for you. Everyone likes their potatoes different.

No comments:

Post a Comment