Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Venting frustrations is good for stress...

...and if I don't get some of the stress from my morning and evening drives out, I might scream. I travel on I-90W to get to school in the mornings and, of course, I-90E in the evenings to get home. Freeway driving can be incredibly stressful. Right now I'll count down my three biggest annoyances in an effort to get them out.

1) Riding my bumper



Here's a handy tip - being 6" or even a foot closer to my car is not going to get you where you're going any sooner. All it's going to do is possibly cause an accident when you rear end my car.

But maybe I'm just not going fast enough for your liking. Here's what I have to say to that - if 10-15 mph over the speed limit isn't enough for you, GO AROUND ME IF YOU WANT TO GO 80! It may be a tad vindictive, but I hope you get pulled over. You're an unsafe driver.

2) Waiting until the last second to get out of a lane that's ending



This one is actually a bigger problem once I get OFF the freeway. You can see the sign up ahead showing that the lane is ending. So do you calmly, in a timely manner, merge into the left lane? No. You scooch up past the line where you were supposed to stop at the light, and when it turns green you screech around the cars who actually complied with the sign and merge over - cutting someone off, no less - when there's slightly less than one car width in the "lane" you're in. Unless you're having a baby/someone is dying/the world is ending/you're about to have an awful IBS episode, there's no need to be that rude, dangerous, and act like a huge jerk. Side note - even when I'm crying because my stomach hurts so bad and I'm about to be sick, I will still, if necessary, turn right and loop back around rather than act that selfishly.

3) HOW HARD IS IT TO USE A TURN SIGNAL???!!!



You are already turning the wheel. It's not difficult to stick out your finger and FLICK A LEVER. I can't count the number of times I've been cut off on the freeway, but they all have one thing in common - the people nearly causing accidents didn't use a turn signal. If you have your signal on, I will let you over. I will slow down so you can get into the lane you need. Not to mention the fact that if I see someone trying to get over, I won't speed up. I also can't count the number of times I've sped up and the person next to me, panicking, screeches into the tiny slot in front of me without a signal, causing me to slam on my brakes on the freeway. This one doesn't even have to do with how much of a hurry you're in. You can do it WHILE you merge, or turn, or whatever it is you're doing that BY LAW requires a turn signal. I'm sorry, but I hope you get pulled over too, before someone gets seriously hurt.

And that's all. I'm sure a lot of you have the same frustrations. Here's hoping people will wise up and drive safely before more people get seriously hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment